Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hairs Cut




Dear Avid Readers: It has happened, Yours Truly got 14 inches of hair shorn off my head. As you may know from previous posts...I have been looking forward to this day for a long long time. To give you a recap. I went to Bumble and Bumble. The guy who was learning the "razor bob" was a Polish guy living in the U.K. wanting to open a salon that specialized in Bumble and Bumble's Razor Bob. He was and interesting character. First of all, I want to mention that we sat in a huge room filled with about 25 salon chairs. I, unfortunately, sat at the end of 2 rows of chairs. To my right was a cart and on the cart was towels and a HUGE box of band-aids. Now, as I was sitting there and the trainer (there was one trainer for every 3 students) was explaining to the students how and where to cut, I was sitting there and wondering what those band-aids were for. Well it wasn't 3 minutes into my first snip when another student hairdresser ran up to the cart with her arm in the air looking pale. Then it all became clear. Since these students were learning how to use the razor for the first time there were LOTS of cuts and nics. in the 3 hours I sat there getting my hair cut there were a total of 8 students who proceeded to cut themselves with their razors. Essentially, the box of band-aids came in very handy. At one point, I asked my student hairdresser if he planned on cutting himself as well and if it was part of training.

Another interesting aspect of getting my haircut was how much more nervous the student hairdressers were than myself. I kept asking for my hair to be shorter, thinner, and chunkier. However, my student hairdress, Lukas, kept saying (in a polish accent)

"it vill be drastic enouff"

"I sink maybe you can cut more later when you first see how zees looks"

"No, you vill feel difverent allready"

Therefore, although I enjoy my free haircut, I will most likely end up paying someone else to get my hair even more chunky and bob-like. I think Lukas was afraid I would start crying once I saw how drastic 14 inches would make. Little does he know I have been waiting for this day for approximately 2 years.

Lastly, our final conversation was a bit humours and Yours Truly would like to share it with you. As we were sitting there and Lukas was (as part of his training) going through all the products he used in my hair and subtlely trying to sell me the products I said,

"No thanks, I don't really use much product in my hair" in which Lukas said

"Do you have a boyfriend" I was a little thrown off by his forwardness but took the bait and said,

"Yes for 7 years" He was neither shocked nor disappointed nor intrigued, instead, he said,

"vell, that eez vhy. Seven years make you lazy. you do not uze zee products on your hair because you do not make yourself beautiful for your boyfriend." I admit, I blushed at his utter lack of tack and had to refrain from busting his face and merely replied,

"well, when men primp and cover themselves in whale fat for the pleasure of a woman maybe I will reconsider my dislike of hairproducts" My sweet Polish hairdresser then said,

"not jest you. your boyfriend eez zee same. it alvays happens. together too long and you stop caring."

At this point, I realized that trying to make him see that my personal dislike of hair products has no impact, or is in any way connected to years in which I have been with another individual was pointless, so I smiled, stood up, and walked out.

All in all, it was an interesting experience and I would definately say that if given the opportunity I would actually get my hair cut again by these Student professionals; I mean it is an absolutely free (not allowed to tip even), it has the atmosphere and excitement of an emergency room with all the blood and what-not, but most of all, for absolutely no money at all you are also given a life coach on relationships and personal appearance!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

D, I'm getting my haircut on saturday at Maria Bonita (prince and Elizabeth), 7 PM. If you need a touch up on your 'do let me know if you'd like to join me.

Michael & May said...

any free haircut is worth going back for and good laugh--priceless.