Monday, September 15, 2008

A Few Good Points-as in Sarah Palin a.k.a. Amy Winehouse

Dear Avid Readers I am going to do something today that may shock or surprise you. I am gonna get agressive today and cover something I rarely cover on The Daily Grind and that is Politics. Despite the fact that I have already been pretty mesmorized with this election, McCain goes and ups the ante by calling in Palin as his running mate to make less time in my life for The Real World and more time devoted to Meet the Press, and This week with George Stephanopoulos. And as hard as it is for me to miss anything on MTV, I really have put a temporary hold on True Life to focus on helping Obama/Biden win this election. First and foremost, I am holding a fundraiser for Obama and for those who are Dear Avid Readers and Obama/Biden supporters who want to take this idea and run with it...please, do so.
1. B.A.R.F.O. Beer Drive (Buy A Round For Obama)
You can speak to your location "democratic" neighborhood bar and ask them if they will work with you. Bars may either donate a dollar for every beer you buy in which it will go to Obama or you can hand out tickets for buy one get one free chip. I mean you may run this fundraiser however you want to and give the earnings to the campaign. Oh and did I mention and get totally drunk as well! You will feel emtionally fantastic the next morning even if you are physically a wreck!2. My good friend Miss S has created an awesome Obama t-shirt that looks like the picture above and if you want to buy a shirt and not only be a walking supporter for Obama but all earnings also is donated to campaing efforts you can click on the link and support Obama and keep warm all at once.
3. Also, as Yours Truly is truly lucky and have friends all over this world I am hoping you convince all your fellow ex-patriots to at least go to www.barackobama.com and
A. Register to vote
B. Submit an absentee ballot
C. Change your name/address
D. Find the nearest polling station to your house
E. Find information on early voting
All these things can be done on the Obama website and will save you time and energy on voting day so you don't get stressed and run out of time to actually vote
4. My biggest fear is that those who are Obama supporters may say and support Obama for the entire year leading up to the big day, but when the day comes for them to actually go to the voting polls they don't (aka Paris Hilton who went on Rock the Vote ((yes I watch a lot of MTV)) but wasn't even registered) also, I work at a University and albeit I love my students, at the end of the day I have heard excuses from oversleeping, having mean professors who give them "random pop quizzes", afraid to get fired as excuses for not going out to vote. These little pumpkins forget (or have no idea) that there is this little law that allows them to go and vote without being fired and that the polls are open nearly the ENTIRE day and that the meanest
of Professors would be less mean if they saw these students care about the election and missed a pop-quiz to vote. On the other hand, McCain/Palin supporters WILL show up on election, WILL cast their votes and it WILL be scary if that happens.
5. Lastly, there are tons of Obama staff who are holding voter registration throughout America to help people get registered way before the date (for example I will volunteer at the Jason Mraz eerrr I mean Jason mmmmm-yummy concerct) to get concert goers to register to vote. The more you get done before voting makes voting day so much easier for you to go to!
So that's really it. There was this great article in the New York Times yesterday regarding Sarah Palin, in fact, as the Boy and I were reading the Sunday paper together we got to this phrase (Sarah Palin's visceral political views) and although I have read visceral a million times and even saw it on my GRE's when I took them many moons ago, I couldn't really and truly comprehend what the NYTimes were trying to convey in the message so I went to dicitonary.com and it ended up being funnier than I thought which made me happy to see that the NYTimes writer had such a sharp wit about him...but dictionary.com defines Palin's visceral views as being:
"proceeding from instinct rather than intellect"
and how true it is!

3 comments:

May Yang-Lee Photography said...

Dang - go doris

Jorge A. Saucedo Corner said...

very interesting note..keep it up giirl!!!

Anonymous said...

cool look at http://freewowwallpaper.blogspot.com/ :)