Friday, December 4, 2009

Mid-Life Purgatory


Dear Avid Readers,


I know, I know. It's been about a year since I've last shared "Deep Thoughts by Yours Truly." I find that I am at my best when things are slow and calm. It is typically those times that my little head is able to process and turn events into crazy thoughts in my head. After what seems like a busy and crazy year I've decided to return to the daily grind and be better at updating. These next few entries will catch ya'll up on my life since Wednesday December 17, 2008, but, for now, I wanted to talk about my mid life purgatory.


I don't think I will ever be a person who goes through a midlife crisis. I mean, I strongly believe that having an untraditionally tough childhood has led me to really, really, really appreciate the aging process. My life has increasingly gotten better and more fulfilling with age. But that absolutely does not stop me from having a mid-life purgatory.


For those of you unfamiliar with such above mentioned illness it is when you are literally stuck between being a kid and being an adult. Some people look at this and think...yuck, purgatory stinks while others think its the perfect utopian life balance.


I, on the other-hand, have no idea which one I am. Examples you ask???


1- I walk into the school cafeteria and will shake my head in disgust at all the little children going to school in their pj's BUT find it difficult to leave with my cup of coffee because the TV is tuned into MTV's "True Life"


2. I want to go back to school BUT only if it A.) pays me to study like an adult job does B.) does not require additional work when I am done with class like an adult job does and C.) Gives me 25 vacation days of my choice like my job does (I mean on top of daily classtime)


3. I love hosting dinner parties and throwing keggers and literally having a hoe-down every weekend, BUT the idea of strangers peeing and puking in my sparkly white toilet bowl isn't as glamorous as it was before


4. I attend the "young" events and feel it's too loud, too obnoxious, too hipstery and too, well, young BUT I attend the "adult" events and have a hard time contributing to mortgages, children and climbing the corporate ladder. I mean all I want to do is ask, "Can you believe Tamara in the Real Housewives last night??? I mean, for realz?"


5. I still hate going to bed and will find myself making picture frames, playing Nintendo DS or watching TV til late at night, BUT still getting my purgatory ass out of bed by at least 9 am.


6. On weekends I think about gardening, re-arranging the apartment or running errands BUT typically wake up hung over and wanting a greasy breakfast followed by a nap. (oh p.s. I don't know how to garden, am not too handy when it comes to decorating and really what are errands if not things that can be done tomorrow?)


7. In the sense of cognitive awareness I know that I should be excercising more and eating healthier as I grow older BUT I continue to tell myself that Asians have an additional 5 year bump due to high metabolism and I live in a city that celebrates fine dining so I should never waste such opportunities.


so there you have it dear avid readers. I have now bestowed upon you my deepest and most intimate thoughts. Trust me, more will be coming but, for now, I will leave you with this final thought.


If you find yourself reading this and thinking "yes, yes, yes, I agree" then there is clearly only one solution for you. Move to Brooklyn (preferably as close to Metropolitan and Graham as possible) and let's start a club together where we we act like complete teenage fools with the dignitgy and experience of an adult in purgatory.

23 comments:

kato said...

I'd love to join that club. Also, that picture gives me deja-vu. I feel like that every day of my life. -k

Anonymous said...

Love, Love, Love this!! You are so funny in a very ADULT way :) I will be following your blog... here's hoping u get ur club sweetpea!

Cheryl D said...

nice photo lol! The tittle grabbed me too ... got my attention which when going through blogs is similar to that of a gnat!

Anonymous said...

nice blog and photo

Anonymous said...

This is how we felt after Raina Dawns First wedding!

Anonymous said...

I would love for you to hang around my balls, what a lucky bull.

Jane White said...

Lovely picture above...ew...

Jon said...

You have definitely caught a follower in me!

Deb @ Lavender Garden Cottage said...

Loving the photo!

Anonymous said...

love the photo

Adam Lokman said...

arigato

kpn2010 said...

http://madouthere.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

Amy said...

I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!

Unknown said...

funny this picture....
hahahahaha!!!

TailorU said...

cute pic!

Rant said...

I'm new to blogger. Follow my Rants at and share some of your Rants at: http://ratemyrants.blogspot.com/.

Rant said...

I don't think you're alone. I know so many people that would say YES YES YES to every single one of those and they are happily cruisin' along the middle. Also, I think there are different times when people get stuck in-between's for various reasons. It could be between the culture of your family and your in laws, your culture and the culture of the country you live in, childhood and teenage years, one field of work and another, and so many many more. That is how we get to be unique - to exist somewhere along various enormous spectrums of in-between's.
And that would be my Rant on this!

The Independent Rage said...

You said kegger!

Red Deception said...

You are so spot on AND hilarious. I am somewhere between youngster and adult as well, and boy, am I glad someone feels as stuck as I do!!!

Bruce said...

Just tripped across your blog, but I loved that photo!

Loved reading your blog!


Sincerely, Bruce Mackh

Neil McCore said...

"Move to Brooklyn (preferably as close to Metropolitan and Graham as possible) and let's start a club together where we we act like complete teenage fools with the dignitgy and experience of an adult in purgatory."

__Often I feel similar feelings .... I would hope, join the club, but maybe too far from myself. we could all meet in Rome or Milan? :P
Hello Neil

Unknown said...

Haha I wonder if I'll think like you when i reach your age. But this post does remind me of How I Met your Mother where Marshall and Lily decides to have a adult party with fine wine and cheese only to go out clubbing with young kids. I find it scary how my life night be like 10 years from now. Hope you keep sharing your wisdom to us.